Social Media Marketing
Articles and resources about how to develop a social media strategy, plans and social media marketing in general
This category last updated: 6 June 2013
Webinar: Tips to Extend Your Social Strategy to Your Site
- Presentation by Jermiah Owyang and Larry Drebes. Janrain 2011. "If you are confused about how best to integrate social media with your brand website, you're not alone. Don't assume you need to place all of your eggs in Facebook's basket. Altimeter analyst Jeremiah Owyang shares practical tips for on-site social media integration. Jeremiah unveils new data points on the evolution of the social brand website, provides real world case studies, and shares his predictions for social media marketing in the coming year..." 54 minutes
The Digital Path to Social Media Success
- by Jason Cormier, Search Engine Watch, November 10, 2011. "How social media is being integrated with the whole of digital marketing is one of the greatest momentums we're now witnessing as marketers.
A great example of this can be seen in Jermiah Owyang's presentation with Larry Drebes, unveiling recent research that demonstrates the desire and importance of marketers making their websites and social networks work together harmoniously.
Some of these concepts are still in their infancy, so we can all appreciate how Owyang openly refers to 'new practices' instead of 'best practices'. With this in mind, I'm sharing a model I hope will prove helpful to your own approach to social/digital marketing..."
Digital Life: Understanding the opportunity for growth online - in pdf format (765kb)
- (This document requires the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader). TNS, 2011. "... TNS's Digital Life is a vast study into the attitudes and behaviours of the world's consumers online. We conducted in-depth interviews with over 72,000 people in 60 countries to build the most comprehensive view of what people do online – and why they do it. Having teams on the ground in all of the markets where we conduct research means that our recommendations are based not just on numbers, but on real human insights..."
'Digital waste' pollutes the online world as brands fail to listen to what people want - in pdf format (391kb)
- (This document requires the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader). Global report from world's largest research consultancy, TNS, shows half of consumers don't want to be bothered in social networks. TNS News Release, London, Thursday 10 November 2011.
"Businesses are wasting time and money trying to reach people online without realising many resent big brands invading their social networks – according to findings from a global study launched by today by TNS, a Kantar company and part of WPP.
The findings were revealed by TNS’s Digital Life study, the most comprehensive view of how more than 72,000 consumers in 60 countries behave online and why they do what they do – an interactive data visualisation of the key findings can be found at www.tnsdigitallife.com..."
The definitive guide to B2B social media
- A Marketo Workbook, 2010. Contains: Part 1: What is Social Media and Why Does My Business Need It? Part 2: Laying the Foundation. Part 3: B2B Social Media Tactics and Metrics. Part 4 & 5: Incorporating Social Media at Every Stage of the Revenue Cycle & The Return on Investment of Social Media.
Sample Social Media Tactical Plan
- Marketo, Inc. April 2011. "This plan includes the tactical objectives to be used to accomplish two primary goals of
1. Increase unique traffic to X.com;
2. Convert anonymous traffic to known visitors by promoting premium content to visitors from social media sites via free content..."
Buddy Media and Booz & Company Present Campaigns to Capabilities: Social Media & Marketing 2011
- Posted by Michael Lazerow. Buddy Media Blog, October 3, 2011. "... The research report reveals insights into how leading companies are transforming from social campaigns to enterprise marketing capabilities, in an effort to successfully incorporate social media into the mix.
Specifically, the research focuses on social capability priorities, key areas for investment, the evolving role of partners, and major issues related to organization, talent and metrics that companies are confronting through social media. The research is based on quantitative and qualitative input from more than 100 leading companies..."
Social Media Presence More Important Than Social Media Ads
- eMarketer, October 11, 2011. "Yet marketers have concerns with the communities they've built on social sites. Social media marketers feel that having a presence on social sites is more important than advertising there, but there are still challenges related to keeping a community running online..."
Social Media Marketing – 7 Tips to Take It to the Next Level
- by Heidi Cohen, Posted on October 5, 2011. "... To get your social media marketing to the next level take a step back and assess what's working and what’s not working with your current social media marketing approach. Here are seven steps to help you take your social media marketing to the next level..."
Is your Marketing Searchcentric? It Needs to Be
- by David Malmborg. SEO Blog, September 27, 2011. "... With Google and Bing using social media signals in ranking factors, and Google Panda slapping sites with poor content (or for just being generally poor) in addition to implementing machine learning so analytics, structure, and click-through-rates make a big difference, it is more obvious than ever that SEOs are not dealing with just search rankings and keywords.
You not only need to be knowledgeable about SEO and search engines in general, but it is vital that your SEO is fully integrated into your entire marketing strategy. In this post I try to graphically illustrate how search is center stage in online marketing..."
What Does It Take To Be a Social Strategist? [INFOGRAPHIC]
- by Lauren Drell. Mashable, September 25, 2011. "Looking to break into a social media career? Here's pretty much everything you need to know about the job and the people who do it every day. Nearly 80% of corporations use social media, so there's plenty of opportunity for aspiring strategists — especially as the other 20% get on board..."
A 12-Step Checklist to Jumpstart Your Social Program
- by Sundeep Kapur. ClickZ, September 15, 2011. "I have had a phenomenal opportunity to run workshops across the globe on social media integration. The best thing about these events has been the interaction with great brands and even greater people. I have leveraged these conversations to create a quick-start guide including a simple checklist to help you create or "fine-tune" your social strategy.
This checklist has been broken into three parts. In part one, I focus on aligning our objectives with the people that we pursue. In part two, I offer ideas on engaging through useful content. Part three is about processes, procedures, and of course, measures of success..."
How Social Media Is Changing and What It Means for Your Marketing
- by Heidi Cohen. ClickZ, September 19, 2011. "Social media continues to evolve as a means for participants to communicate, engage, and connect with their family, friends, and social media acquaintances. In the process, more people are spending more time on these platforms. From a marketing perspective, it's critical to understand their behavior to be able to effectively integrate social media into your plans...
Here are seven recent social media research findings and what they mean for your marketing plans..."
The Social Funnel: Driving Business Value with Social Marketing
- by Mike Lewis - Awareness Inc, September 2011. "Inc. reported in a 2009 study that 91% of Inc. 500 companies use social media as part of their marketing mix1. While marketing with social media platforms continues to grow by leaps and bounds, measuring and tying social media efforts to true benefits and ROI continues to elude many marketers.
Most marketers struggle to identify, capture, and leverage the myriad social conversations related to their brands. Marketers face big challenges in knowing how to respond to the different types of brand conversations happening in the social realm and prioritizing their efforts on the areas that will bring the most benefits.
To help companies focus staff, resources, and expertise on harnessing and creating value from the overwhelming amount of raw social media data available, we propose a strategic 'Social Funnel' framework with associated metrics. These metrics provide indicators on expanding market share and generating more leads, or new buyers, above the traditional marketing and sales funnel. The Social Funnel approach allows small and large organizations alike to capture customer insights and demand sooner, before entering the buying process..." [Free book - requires registration]
Creating Interactive Conversations Across Channels
- by Sundeep Kapur. ClickZ, September 1, 2011. "Social media offers businesses a way to attract consumers, an effective way to engage, and an easier way to listen to consumers. The key to success is to integrate social into the overall brand mix.
Sadly, many companies tend to isolate "social" or just banish the responsibility to their digital group. As a result, social gets done in a vacuum; away or outside from the rest of the organization. So while the digital group tends to make great strides with social media, the potential positive impact of social media is greatly minimized..."