Social Media Marketing
Articles and resources about how to develop a social media strategy, plans and social media marketing in general
This category last updated: 6 June 2013
34 Social Media Truths in a Nut Shell
- by Pam Moore. Social Media Today, Posted August 13, 2012. "... Remember, social media is not about the next best thing. It is not a band-aid for a broken business. The only way you are going to see results is if you align the investment in social media to real business goals and objectives.
If you don’t know how to do this..."
Pinterest finally open to public, removes Registration Invitation
- by David Cowling. Social media news, August 9, 2012. "Pinterest has finally opened their social network to the public, removing the Invitation Registration feature previously set..."
Facebook crackdown just the start for ACCC
- By Charis Palmer. ZDNet, August 15, 2012. "Summary: The Australian watchdog's warning to companies to moderate social media comments is just the tip of the social media iceberg, according to experts. The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's (ACCC) focus on Facebook comment moderation is part of a broader, but potentially futile campaign to protect consumers using social media, experts say..."
Twitter co-founders seek to shake up Web publishing with Medium
- They believe it's still early days in Web publishing and that there is plenty of opportunity for improvement and innovation, by Juan Carlos Perez (IDG News Service). Computerworld, 15 August, 2012. "Twitter co-founders Evan Williams and Biz Stone, who were also leaders at Blogger, have unveiled a preview of Medium, which they describe as a new Web publishing platform.
With Medium, they aim to inject a dose of collaboration into Web publishing and distance it from print publishing practices. They also want to raise the quality of content..."
ACCC gives big business 24 hours to fix Facebook comments, but SMEs get more time
- by Cara Waters. Smart Company, Monday, 13 August 2012. "The consumer watchdog has weighed in on the debate over false and misleading comments on brands’ Facebook pages, calling for a 24-hour turnaround for large businesses and more leeway for SMEs.
Following the Advertising Standards Board's ruling last week that Facebook pages were an advertisement, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has warned large companies that use Facebook to promote themselves should take misleading or inappropriate comments down within a day or less..."
What the Facebook ruling from the Advertising Standards Board (that comments are ads) means for agencies
- eGov AU - Craig Thomler's professional blog - eGovernment and Gov 2.0 thoughts and speculations from an Australian perspective, Thursday, August 9, 2012. "There's been a lot of commentary this week in the media around the decision by the Australian Advertising Board (ASB) to rule that the comments of fans published on an brand's Facebook page are actually advertisements and must comply with industry self-regulation and consumer protection laws.
In face the ruling states that Facebook, and other social media tools, are advertising platforms - which may come as a surprise to long-term users of these services..."
Social Media Is Becoming Useful, Finally
- by Gustavo Razzetti. ClickZ, August 3, 2012. "In one of my recent columns, I addressed how Pinterest has succeeded by creating a space in between Facebook and Google: balancing a "cry for attention" with "utility." And when I mentioned Google, I was actually referring to the search component, not to its social media tool (Google+). It's because then I wasn't aware of Clipboard (privately beta-launched by end of 2011). This new social media tool - backed by Index, Andreessen Horowitz, and CrunchFund - was opened to the public in May 2012. Clipboard is now looking to turn social media into something useful...
Clipboard's solution seems pretty easy. It allows people to pull and save parts of the web that they care about with the ability to share them as well..."
Pinterest Social Media Strategy
- by David Cowling. Social Media News, July 16, 2012. "Today we wanted to look at some ways you can use Pinterest in your social media marketing strategy.
Looking at our monthly social media statistics, Pinterest has over 620,000 unique Australian visitors in the last month (June 2012), and has been seeing continued growth over the past several months. In fact Pinterest can be used as a marketing tool for a wide variety of businesses from online publishers through to physical and online retailers..."
Social Media Behavior and Engagement: What You Need To Know
- by Heidi Cohen, Posted on August 3, 2012. "Understanding Social Media Savvy Customers [Research]. Social media is how we communicate now according a Performics and ROI Research survey of individuals who visited at least one social media platform a day. These findings have important implications for marketers seeking to engage prospects and customers.
To appreciate how social media has changed our human interactions and communications, check these six findings. Consider them when creating your social media strategy..."
Rethink forced on the use of Facebook by brands
- by Simon Canning. The Australian, August 6, 2012. "Brands could be forced to abandon social media campaigns after a landmark advertising watchdog finding ruled they were responsible for derogatory comments posted by users on their Facebook pages and other sites..."
Social media pages are 'ads'
- by Julian Lee, The Age, August 6, 2012. "A ruling that Facebook is an advertising medium - and not just a way to communicate - will force companies to vet comments posted by the public to ensure they are not sexist, racist or factually inaccurate.
In a move that could change the nature of the social networking site forever, companies could be fined or publicly shamed for the comments that appear on their Facebook ''brand'' pages..."
Global Social Media Checkup 2012
- Burson-Marsteller, July 2012. "The study examines the use of social media by the Fortune Global 100. Specifically it looks at how these companies use Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Google Plus, Pinterest...
The Global Social Media Check-Up Through the Years - In 2010, the Fortune Global 100 were just beginning to use social media. In 2011, the Fortune Global 100 started to engage with users on social media.
Additional Data for 2012 - This year’s study also includes a look at how much consumers and other stakeholders talk about companies online. The data for this part of the study was provided by Visible Technologies, a leader in social media monitoring, analytics and services for enterprises globally..." [Requires Registration]
Social Media's Future: 5 Important Trends [Research and Charts]
- by Heidi Cohen. Posted on July 30, 2012. "Twitter Is the Must-Have Business Social Media Tool. Social media is maturing. To meet prospects, customers, fans and the public on the digital platforms where they spend their time, businesses are building their social media presence to reach and engage participants.
Here's the numbers behind the business push (even if their CEOs don’t follow suit) on three of the major social media platforms: Twitter, Facebook and YouTube, via Visible Technologies. As you check these facts, understand that they translate to social media presence, engagement and content creation..."
5 Step Guide to Pinterest for SEO
- Written by Jonny Ross, Search Engine People, 19 July 2012. "Pinterest seems to have taken the internet community by storm in recent months and the tech news websites have been reporting on the website on practically a daily basis. Any website that gets that amount of attention is definitely worth having a look at, especially a website that has been developed with social networking in mind.
Pinterest gained more than 10 million new users in record time. It is a great tool for grouping and bookmarking interesting images that you come across online and more and more people are starting to use the website as a type of mood board tool for projects that they're working on..."
Optimizing Social Media Across the Customer Lifecycle
- by Lee Odden. ClickZ, July 16, 2012. "Most forms of marketing and advertising focus on attracting and engaging customers through a sales cycle to create awareness and interest, guiding the customer to consideration and ultimately to purchase. That's reasonable since there's a clear investment and return.
While a lot of social media-savvy companies are leveraging social channels to engage with communities and for customer service, most implementations of corporate social media marketing are no different than any other sales-focused marketing effort. Expectations are high to influence a social return on investment (ROI)..."