Mobile Web - Topics A-Z
Topics A-Z listing of articles and resources about the use of the Web from mobile devices, such as mobile (cell) phones, Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs), and other mobile devices connected to a computer network.
This category last updated: 22 August 2013
Why Mobile Friendly Is Not Mobile SEO
- by Bryson Meunier. Search Engine Land, March 7, 2011. "... If this debate is new to you there are essentially two camps among SEOs when it comes to creating mobile content: the one URL SEO camp and the mobile URL SEO camp (which is a microcosm of the One Web vs Mobile Web debate that has been going on for years in the mobile marketing and development community)..."
Two New Mobile SEO Tips For 2011
- by Bryson Meunier. Search Engine Land, January 5, 2011. The two tips are: Don't Ignore Mobile Keywords - this is 10% of Google’s total query volume; and Present Mobile Users With Mobile Formatted Content.
The World in 2010: ICT facts and figures - in pdf format (1870kb)
- (This document requires the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader). International Telecommunication Union (ITU), 2010. "By the end of 2010, there will be an estimated 5.3 billion mobile cellular subscriptions worldwide,including 940 million subscriptions to 3G services. Access to mobile networks is now available to 90% of the world population and 80% of the population living in rural areas. People are moving rapidly from 2G to 3G platforms, in both developed and developing countries. In 2010, 143 countries were off ering 3G services commercially, compared to 95 in 2007..."
Making Websites Mobile Friendly
- Posted by Pierre Far, Webmaster Trends Analyst. Google Webmaster Central Blog, Tuesday, February 22, 2011. "We've noticed a rise in the number of questions from webmasters about how best to structure a website for mobile phones and how websites can best interact with Googlebot-Mobile. In this post we'll explain the current situation and give you specific recommendations you can implement now... Google has two crawlers relevant to this topic: Googlebot and Googlebot-Mobile. Googlebot crawls desktop-browser type of webpages and content embedded in them and Googlebot-Mobile crawls mobile content..."
Demand for data anytime, anywhere
- by Mitchell Bingemann. The Australian, February 19, 2011. "As smartphones, with their promise of computing abilities, lure consumers into mobile data, the rate of information travelling over mobile networks has grown hugely. Such is the rate of growth that broadband equipment maker Cisco has forecast Australian monthly mobile data traffic will surge 32-fold between 2010 and 2015 to hit 148,705 terabytes, equivalent to 410 million text messages, as consumers flock to the convenience of always-on, anywhere, mobile devices including smartphones and tablet computers such as the iPad..."
Mobile Analytics: Tracking Click-to-Call Mobile Ad Campaigns
- Occam's Razor by Avinash Kaushik, 22 February 2011. "... I have been spending some time with the Mobile Ads team at Google to try and understand what is innovative about mobile ... and what implications are on measurement (loads!). In this blog post I want to talk about just one specific ad unit, the Search / Display click-to-call ad, and how it is cool, useful, and immensely measureable in sexy ways..."
The New Frontier Of Mobile Optimized Video, Part 2
- by Eric Papczun. Search Engine Land, January 20, 2011. "In my last column, I addressed the frontlines of mobile video optimization and also discussed the transformation of online video placement as a shift from containers to conduits. Now, I want to turn attention to mobile video SEO and ways you can strategically leverage your parent site for your mobile site..."
Mobile's New Frontier: Optimized Video
- by Eric Papczun. Search Engine Land, December 16, 2010. "... Mobile video is used by approximately 11% of global online consumers according to Nielsen's report in August. Rhythm NewMedia’s key mobile video findings for Q3 2010 saw video retention on mobile devices higher (at 94% in the first ten seconds) than traditional online video (81%). Even full episode viewing on mobile devices grew 20%..."
Optimize And Analyze For Mobile, part 3
- Posted by Jeff Gillis, Google Analytics Team and Feras Alhlou, E-Nor. Google Analytics blog, Monday, December 20, 2010. "This is part 3 of a timely 3 part guest post on mobile analytics strategy and implementation by Feras Alhlou at E-Nor, a Certified Partner in Northern California... 3. Act on your ROI - At this point, you are equipped with your positive trends and the (hopefully high!) revenue numbers generated on mobile devices. You’ll hopefully get additional time/resources to better assess and improve your mobile presence and mobile marketing initiatives. But, we still have some more ground to cover, including more segmentation. Let's ratchet up your insights..."
10 Mobile Trends for 2011
- By Sarah Perez. Read Write Web, January 26, 2011. "In its annual mobile technology report, Forrester Research has outlined the trends it expects to see in the coming year. Technologies like 4G and LTE, Near Field Communication (NFC), barcodes and augmented reality will see increasing amounts of hype in 2011, and the use of mobile/social/location combinations will soar, the report says. But for companies, the goal should now be on developing mobile business cases and strategies, and not jumping on the bandwagons surrounding these types of disruptions..."
State of the Mobile Web, November 2010
- Opera Software, December 20, 2010. "This month, the report reflects on a year of growth for Opera, but more importantly, growth for the mobile Internet. Passing milestone after milestone over the year, our users took the full Web experience to their hearts and browsed an incredible 340 billion pages in the first 11 months of 2010 (compared to 129 billion pages in the first 11 months of 2009)..."
Mobile Marketing: Top 10 Technical Design Considerations
- by Robert Carroll. Marketing Profs, December 21, 2010. In this article, you'll learn: How marketers can use technology to stay ahead of the mobile boom; The 10 key design issues to consider when choosing a mobile technical platform; How to improve the mobile experience for your customers..."
User Expectations with Mobile Apps - Catching up with EffectiveUI
- by Kristina Bjoran. UX Booth, 21 December 2010. "User response to mobile applications depends on several factors —aesthetics, usability, and brand loyalty, to name a few. However, researchers at EffectiveUI recently underwent a study to see whether or not brand loyalty trumps usability. No surprise here: it doesn't..."
4 Mindsets for Mobile Engagement
- by Brian DAmato. Clickz, December 15, 2010. "With mobile technology continuing to improve and the sale of smartphones continuing to grow, the year of mobile may finally be upon us. Additionally, the growth of Android, the launch of 4G networks, the continued evolution of the iPhone, and the improvements in mobile browsing provide a platform that enables the development of a rich, powerful, and unique user experience. And while this growth has created another opportunity for customer interface, we must remember that it's just another interaction point in your customer's lifecycle as they traverse from discovery to purchase to support, and not some unique and disparate touchpoint. In order to maximize the value of what mobile technology can bring, everything fundamentally starts with how the user interacts with this technology for your brand..."
Mobile Stats in Canada: Usage, Demographics, Forecasts
- by Manoj Jasra. Web Analytics World, Monday, December 13, 2010. "This past week I was doing some extensive research trying to find mobile statistics, specifically in Canada: Penetration rates, mobile usage, subscribers, and forecasts. The penetration rate of mobile in Canada is nearing 70% and is projected to top 80% in the next few years so you can understand the importance of trying to understand the landscape. Below are some of the sites I found quite useful in my research..."