Mobile Web - Topics A-Z
Topics A-Z listing of articles and resources about the use of the Web from mobile devices, such as mobile (cell) phones, Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs), and other mobile devices connected to a computer network.
This category last updated: 16 May 2013
Mobile Marketing: Top 10 Technical Design Considerations
- by Robert Carroll. Marketing Profs, December 21, 2010. In this article, you'll learn: How marketers can use technology to stay ahead of the mobile boom; The 10 key design issues to consider when choosing a mobile technical platform; How to improve the mobile experience for your customers..."
User Expectations with Mobile Apps - Catching up with EffectiveUI
- by Kristina Bjoran. UX Booth, 21 December 2010. "User response to mobile applications depends on several factors —aesthetics, usability, and brand loyalty, to name a few. However, researchers at EffectiveUI recently underwent a study to see whether or not brand loyalty trumps usability. No surprise here: it doesn't..."
4 Mindsets for Mobile Engagement
- by Brian DAmato. Clickz, December 15, 2010. "With mobile technology continuing to improve and the sale of smartphones continuing to grow, the year of mobile may finally be upon us. Additionally, the growth of Android, the launch of 4G networks, the continued evolution of the iPhone, and the improvements in mobile browsing provide a platform that enables the development of a rich, powerful, and unique user experience. And while this growth has created another opportunity for customer interface, we must remember that it's just another interaction point in your customer's lifecycle as they traverse from discovery to purchase to support, and not some unique and disparate touchpoint. In order to maximize the value of what mobile technology can bring, everything fundamentally starts with how the user interacts with this technology for your brand..."
Mobile Stats in Canada: Usage, Demographics, Forecasts
- by Manoj Jasra. Web Analytics World, Monday, December 13, 2010. "This past week I was doing some extensive research trying to find mobile statistics, specifically in Canada: Penetration rates, mobile usage, subscribers, and forecasts. The penetration rate of mobile in Canada is nearing 70% and is projected to top 80% in the next few years so you can understand the importance of trying to understand the landscape. Below are some of the sites I found quite useful in my research..."
Mobile Web Application Best Practices - W3C Recommendation
- W3C, 14 December 2010. "The goal of this document is to aid the development of rich and dynamic mobile Web applications. It collects the most relevant engineering practices, promoting those that enable a better user experience and warning against those that are considered harmful..."
W3C Releases Best Practices for Mobile Web Apps
- By Sarah Perez. Read Write Web, December 15, 2010. "International Web standards body, The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has released a new standard for developers of mobile Web applications. The document, published as a W3C Recommendation, is titled "The Mobile Web Application Best Practices" and it offers practical advice on everything from relevant engineering practices to tips on creating a better user experiences..."
Ask: Mobile Users Want 'Fresh' Information in Real Time
- by Greg Sterling. Search Engine Land, December 15, 2010. "An Ask.com survey, conducted by Harris Interactive (n=1,538 US mobile phone users), finds that user expectations on mobile devices (especially in a local context) are different vs. the PC. The study is intended in part of promote Ask's Q&A mobile app. But the data also reflect and confirm interesting differences between mobile and PC user attitudes and behavior. The study reveals that mobile users have higher expectations of information and want more 'real time' content than they do on the PC..."
Better shopping with the Seller Ratings extension for mobile
- Posted by Anna Khesed, Google Mobile Ads Marketing Team. Google Mobile Ads Blog, Monday, December 13, 2010. "Everyday consumers are using their phones to search Google and a growing number are turning to mobile to complete a variety of purchases. In fact, according to internal Google data, in Q3 Google searches from mobile devices grew 130% year over year. Additionally, a Mobile Marketing Association study found that 59% of holiday shoppers said they plan to use their mobile phones to facilitate holiday shopping. So this year we are creating a better mobile shopping experience by helping consumers identify highly rated online merchants..."
Optimize And Analyze For Mobile, part 2
- Posted by Jeff Gillis, Google Analytics Team and Feras Alhlou, E-Nor. Google Analytics Blog, Tuesday, November 30, 2010. "This is part 2 of a timely 3 part guest post on mobile analytics strategy and implementation by Feras Alhlou at E-Nor, a Certified Partner in Northern California. Here's part 1, which explained how to look for trends in mobile traffic to your website. Look forward to Part 3, "Act on your ROI", coming soon. 2. Give Your Reports More Dollar Power - Now that you know where your mobile trends stand (and hopefully it's positive), make sure to analyze the data carefully. What does the trend signify and where do you want to go with the data?..."
U.S. Smartphone Battle Heats Up: Which is the “Most Desired” Operating System?
- Nielsen Wire, December 1, 2010. "According to October 2010 data from The Nielsen Company, 29.7 percent of U.S. mobile subscribers now own smartphones that run full operating systems. The most popular smartphones are the Apple iPhone and RIM Blackberry, which are caught in a statistical dead heat with 27 percent of smartphone market share in the U.S. Twenty-two percent of smartphone owners have devices with the Android operating system..."
comScore Reports October 2010 U.S. Mobile Subscriber Market Share
- Smartphones Now Used by 1 in 4 U.S. Mobile Subscribers. Reston, Virginia, December 3, 2010 – "comScore, Inc. a leader in measuring the digital world, today released data from the comScore MobiLens service, reporting key trends in the U.S. mobile phone industry during the three month average period ending October 2010. The report ranked the leading mobile original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and smartphone operating system (OS) platforms in the U.S. according to their share of current mobile subscribers ages 13 and older, and reviewed the most popular activities and content accessed via the subscriber’s primary mobile phone. The October report found Samsung to be the top handset manufacturer overall with 24.2 percent market share, while RIM led among smartphone platforms with 35.8 percent market share..."
E-Mail Newsletters: Increasing Usability
- Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox, November 29, 2010. Summary: New research finds improved usability metrics for subscribing to newsletters, but problems with reading them on mobile devices.
Number of smartphone health apps up 78 percent
- by Brian Dolan. Mobile Health News, Thursday - November 4, 2010. "... As our new research report – 'The Fastest Growing and Most Successful Health & Medical Apps' – explains, most mobile health apps available today do not help you track or manage your health. Most only provide reference information about health issues..."
iPhone app and web widget put sun protection in the palm of your hand
- Cancer Council, 25 November 2010. "As part of National Skin Cancer Action Week (21-27 Nov), Cancer Council is launching two user-friendly tools that will make it easier than ever for people to be SunSmart this summer. The SunSmart app for iPhones and UV Alert widget (for websites) are free to download, so whether you are at work, home or on the move, you can check the times of the day when sun protection is needed..."
State of the Mobile Web, October 2010
- by Jon von Tetzchner, Opera Software, 2010. "... Over the course of three weeks, more than 300,000 Opera Mini users responded in what we believe is the largest global survey of mobile web users ever conducted. We also conducted focus groups with members of the My Opera community to gain insight into some of these trends. We present the results for you in this month’s report..."