Browsers - Topics A-Z
Topics A-Z listing of articles and resources about web browsers including standards, statistics and latest developments.
This category last updated: 9 April 2013
Mozilla debuts first Firefox 3.1 alpha
- Code-named 'Shiretoko,' browser boasts location bar, tab-switching changes, By Gregg Keizer. Computerworld, July 31, 2008. "Mozilla Corp. has released the first preview of Firefox 3.1, the fast-track update that the open-source company has pegged with a late 2008 or early 2009 ship date..."
7 FireFox Extensions to Explore Page Source Code
- by Ann Smarty. Search Engine Journal, July 28, 2008. Firefox extensions you may want to explore for viewing source code on a web page.
FireFox for SEOs: Working with Several FireFox Profiles
- by Ann Smarty. Search Engine Journal. July 21, 2008. "... A profile in FireFox is the collection of extensions, bookmarks, settings, passwords, and user preferences that are saved for you in a separate set of files. Creating several such sets of preferences opens the whole wealth of opportunities for SEOs..."
Is Your Website FUBAR in the 'Other' Browser?
- by Stoney deGeyter. Search Engine Guide, 8 July 2008. "... We get so accustomed to our own way of surfing the web that we forget that there many other browsers and browsing experiences that may be foreign to us. Now most web designers will do their due diligence and check a site in multiple versions of FireFox, Internet Explorer, Netscape and Safari. Heck you might look at a half of dozen other browsers that most people, including myself, have never even heard of. But those are not the browsers I'm referring to either. There are four primary "other" browsers and browsing experiences that are typically overlooked by site owners, casual webmaster and, yes, even by the average web designer..."
Guinness awards download record to Firefox 3
- by Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com. ZDNet Australia, 3 July 2008. "The de facto registrar of superlative achievements has credited Mozilla for officially setting a record for downloads in a 24-hour period: 8,002,530 copies of Firefox..."
Firefox 3.0 boosts Mozilla's market share
- Most of that gain came at the expense of Microsoft's IE, but Apple's Safari also dipped last week, says web metrics firm
By Gregg Keizer. Computerworld, 25 June, 2008. "On the back of the release last week of Firefox 3.0, Mozilla's open-source browser gained market share at the expense of rivals Internet Explorer (IE) and Safari, according to Net Applications..."
Firefox 3: What's New, What's Hot, and What's Not
- By Fabio Cevasco. Site Point, June 17, 2008. "Welcome To Firefox 3! The third major release of the much-acclaimed Firefox web browser is out. Although slightly belated, this release actually is another important chapter in open source history: Firefox 3 is truly much better than its predecessors (yes, all of them!)..."
Firefox 3 goes for Guinness, Australia declares love
- by Robert Vamosi and Matt Loney, ZDNet UK. ZDNet Australia, 20 June 2008. "The Mozilla Project has smashed its target of five million Firefox 3 downloads in 24 hours, achieving a final tally of 8,290,545, and a six percent share of the total browser market..."
Mozilla sets June 17 for Firefox 3 'Download Day'
- Mozilla has set Tuesday for release of the next version of Firefox and an attempt to set a Guinness World Record for software downloads, by Elizabeth Montalbano (IDG News Service). Computerworld, 16 June 2008. "... The company has deemed June 17 "Download Day," part of a campaign unveiled on May 28 asking users to download Firefox 3 on the first day it is released to set what very well may be the geekiest world record ever -- the largest number of software downloads in 24 hours..."
Opera updates browser to version 9.5, touts faster speed
- Version 9.5 gets anti-hack tool and a beefed-up address bar, by Gregg Keizer. Computerworld, 16 June 2008. "Opera unveiled a major update to its flagship browser that features anti-malware blocking, bookmark synchronization between devices and an improved search function built into the address bar..."
Mozilla: Final Firefox 3 expected in June
- by Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com. ZDNet Australia, 26 May 2008. "Firefox fans looking for a major update to the open-source Web browser probably will get a final version of it next month..."
50+ Useful Firefox Extensions for College Students
- By Christina Laun. College Degress.com Blog, 21 May 2008. "Firefox has recently released a campus edition of its popular open source software that school and lab administrators can install on their computers. While this new version has increased functionality there's no reason students can't create their own version of Firefox that's loaded with tons of tools to make it easier to do everything from finding research materials to checking the score of the latest college basketball game. Here are numerous extensions from Firefox that can help make it an indispensable tool for any college student, young or old..."
Mozilla slates Firefox 3.0 RC1 for late May
- Mozilla is working to get the Firefox 3.0 build to users by the end of the month, By Gregg Keizer. Computerworld, 13 May 2008. "Mozilla announced that it has stopped making changes to the first release candidate of Firefox 3.0 and is working to get that build to users by the end of the month..."
Firefox cracks 30% share in ANZ
- Oceania registers the highest Firefox usage of any continent, By Computerworld staff Auckland. Computerworld, 29 April 2008. "A European analyst company says Oceania, comprised largely of Australia and New Zealand, has the highest level of usage of the Firefox web browser of any continent tracked..."
Opera proves Acid3 score with public build
- Demo-only build scores a perfect 100, but isn't for 'regular surfing,' says Opera, by Gregg Keizer. Computerworld, 31 March 2008. "Opera Software on Friday released a development build of its Opera browser to the public to prove that it has code that scores 100 out of a possible 100 on the Acid3 Web standards test..."